Monday, August 13, 2012

Sweet potato black bean chili

Welcome back me!

At the request of a friend I am typing up this recipe, so he can stop bothering me about it. I had some sweet potatoes in my fridge that weren't long for the world. I did what I always do, I pulled a bunch of stuff out of my cupboards and started throwing things in a pot. Luckily I wrote it down as I went along.

Vegetable oil
1 Shallot diced
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne
1 Tblsp diced garlic
2 sweet potatoes diced
1 can roasted/stewed tomatoes with green chili - I use Trader Joes Brand
4 cups broth - I use fake chicken broth
1 can black beans rinsed
1 can great northern beans
1-2 cups roasted corn - Frozen Trader Joes Brand, sadly I didn't have fresh at the time.
1-2 tsp Chili 3000 - Penzeys Brand
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 cup red quinoa

Heat oil in large pan. Cook shallots until just caramelizing, add first 3 spices and mix to coat, cook spices until warm and flavors are developed, about 5 minutes.
Add sweet potato and mix until coated, add 1 can of tomato cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until color on sweet potatoes darkens, and they're just started to get soft.
Add 4 cups broth, black beans, and white beans and bring to boil until it starts to thicken.
Add corn, and the rest of the spices, and the quinoa and cook for 20 more minutes.







I served it with a little cheese and some plain greek yogurt. I made corn bread to go with it, but it wasn't my best so I'll wait to post that until I've got the recipe down. Next time I make this chili I'll throw in some carrots and maybe some more tomatoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment