Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sundays are good days in my kitchen & Blueberry peach compote

I love days where I have plenty of time to experiment, and that's exactly what I got the last couple of Sunday. Last week I made the chili from my last post, one of my favorite random pots of stuff meals in a long time. Once I realized it was going to be a chili I through together a corn bread to go with it. I adapted a recipe that used chedder, corn kernels and bacon. I left the bacon out and added cumin and cayenne. I wasn't as happy with it though. It came out a little dry, I went light on the cheese to lighten to fat content but I didn't make up for the moisture it was missing from the bacon. I'll be trying it again and increasing the liquids to see what happens.

I had to run to the store for buttermilk and eggs, and low and behold beautiful blueberries were on sale as well. So I grabbed two pints. And then I sat at home with chili on the stove and cornbread in the oven and two pints of blueberries and buttermilk staring at me. I started a search for something I could make that would use them both. And then realized I didn't have vegetable oil. Well I do, but its garlic flavored and that just wouldn't work. I ended up making a crumb cake from Every Day Food. I subbed some of the flour in the topping for oatmeal to give it a bit more texture. I was very happy with the outcome and took it to work where my coworkers happily did away with it for me. Sadly I didn't even get a picture of it.

A week later I still had blueberries in my fridge. I know its a sin, my only excuse is that I wasn't home very much. Saturday morning I made a smoothie with fresh blueberries, frozen peaches, mango juice, greek yogurt and protein powder. Easily one of the best I've made in a long time. It kept me going for hours.

Sunday at noon I wanted pancakes. I remembered reading a recipe that used sour cream for pancakes, and I knew I still had a lot of greek yogurt so I decided to give it a try. You don't get the recipe yet. The final product was easily some of the best breakfast I've made but there was a lot of tweeking along the way so until I get it just right I wont publish it. But I'll give you the blueberry peach compote I made to use up the rest of my berries.

1 pint blueberries
5 slices frozen peaches - frozen will hold up better but fresh would work fine, add them after 10 minutes of cooking time
1/4 cup sugar
Enough cold water to cover

Toss berries and peaches in small sauce pan with sugar to coat.
Add the water
Bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes until syrup is as thick as you like it.
I like mine very thick. It was that easy, and the flavor is amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment